St Matthew, Clubmoor, Liverpool by Francis Xavier Velarde (1897-1960). “..built through the generosity of the late Captain Matthew Honan FRIBA…killed in action on November the 14th 1916″. Completed in 1930. The interior is reminiscent of German railway station architecture of the ‘twenties. Severe, brown brickwork with Velarde’s characteristic low arches delineating passage-like aisles and the shallow vault over the nave. The brickwork was intended to contrast with the brilliance of the gold baldacchino sheltering the altar – the later addition of paler mosaics has significantly lessened the effect. The pews were originally painted dark green and light green. More pictures: Photoset.